On the evening of Sofia Claremont’s seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake.
A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood.
She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine.
An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet. She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains.
Sofia’s life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince.
Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night.
Will she succeed? … or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?
A Shade of Vampire is entertaining. The first book of a series about vampires, witches and shadowhunters, you’ll find mystery, prophecy, rivalry, and unexpected ally as you turn the pages. While I was eager to find out more about the fate of Sofia, I couldn’t help but wonder if the dark Prince, Derek, could become her one-and-only Prince Charming. I like that Sofia is brave, but given the danger and unfavorable conditions that she’s in, I think she should feel a lot more fearful for her safety. Derek seems fairly noble although you could tell his dark, beastly self is never too far away. The ending is nothing close to what I’ve expected and after reading this installment, I wonder if I’ve made some wrong assumptions about Sofia and Derek. In the exclusive author interview below, Bella is going to talk a little about herself as well as some of the things that she’s experienced while writing the series. I hope you’ll enjoy reading the interview.
1. What inspired you to write the series A Shade of Vampire?
I’m not really sure where the original inspiration came from. The idea just sort of popped into my head one day and the characters and storyline developed organically from there.
2. Did you do any research while writing the books? If so, would you like to share about it?
No, I haven’t really needed to do any research for the series so far.
3. How many books will there be in the series?
5 altogether, and possibly a prequel.
4. Tell us one thing about A Shade of Vampire that kinda surprised you as you wrote the book.
Vivienne’s character surprised me. I had not planned for her to be in the story at all.
(Vivienne is Derek’s sister. She’s quite likeable in my opinion. 🙂 )
5. How did you come up with the main characters in the series? Is there one that you relate to most closely?
Before sitting down to write the story, I had a brainstorming session where I wrote down ideas for characters I wanted to include.
I think I relate more to Sofia – mainly for her refusal to wallow in self-pity, and for her optimism. But there are also parts of Derek I relate to, in particular his stubbornness.
6. In book one, Sofia suffers quite a bit physically, emotionally and mentally. What could readers expect of her in book two?
She’s also put to the test in book two, but she grows stronger and more independent. I can’t say much more without spoiling the story!
7. It seems to me that the dark prince, Derek, does not have an easy relationship with his family. Will the family tension subside somewhat as the series progresses?
Unfortunately, no. It gets worse!
8. Why do you choose to write about a vampire series when there are so many vampire books out in the market already?
The interaction between vampires and humans is something I find fascinating to explore. I haven’t read much vampire fiction, which probably works to my advantage. When I write, I honestly don’t worry about what’s already out there. I just write what I feel like writing and do my own thing.
9. I know that the first book, A Shade of Vampire, was a #1 Christmas Bestseller in Vampire Romance, Paranormal & Fantasy on Amazon USA and UK. Did that come to you as a surprise?
Completely! I was pretty shocked by it.
10. Some authors choose to alter the direction of where the series go based on the feedback of their readers. Have you added, changed or deleted scenes because of readers’ feedback?
No, I have never been in this situation.
11. What are you working on currently?
A Shade Of Vampire, Book 3. It should be available on Amazon by June 8th. (I’ve attached the sexy cover image!).
Bella, thank you so much for stopping by. It’s great to have you here today!